Since its release, COD Modern Warfare 2 has seen a large amount of error messages, bugs, and other technological problems. But recently, it seems that a number of Xbox users ran into a problem where they got stopped on the Press A to start screen.
Players cannot move the screen even after pushing the A button on their Xbox controller due to a flaw or issue.
Not to worry; here’s how to resolve the Xbox issue where MW2 won’t start when you press A.
Fix Modern Warfare 2 on Xbox Consoles When Pressing A to Start
Thankfully, the Activision developers have fixed the Xbox console issue where MW2 would not start when pressing A. On their official Trello and Microsoft forums, they reaffirmed it (link). Therefore, in order to upgrade the game to the most recent version, we advise users to install any pending updates.
However, the COD community on Reddit has offered various workarounds and fixes for the players who are having this problem.
Here’s how to fix this problem:
- Press the A button on your Xbox controller first.
- Press the B button to cancel when it says “Connecting to the Datacenters”.
- Go offline by choosing that option, then enter the Local Multiplayer Lobby.
- Return to the COD Home screen after that.
- To begin the game, press the Select button A.
But if the aforementioned workaround doesn’t help, you can also try the following ones:
Restart or power cycle your Xbox console.
- Initially, hold down the Xbox button for 10 to 15 seconds.
- Your console will shut off as a result.
- After waiting for 30 to 40 seconds, unplug the power.
- Restart your Xbox console after plugging in your power supply.
Install COD MWII again
Try uninstalling the game and installing it again if none of the workarounds were successful in fixing the problem. Check to see if pressing A to start the game is still stuck or not working as you launch it.
Send an Activision Support Ticket
As a final resort, you can contact Activision support and open a ticket to report this problem. You can explain your problem and wait for the team to respond with an appropriate workaround.