If you want to play games with good graphics or use software where a lot of graphics rendering is required, you will need a good graphics processing unit (GPU) , otherwise the temperature of your graphics card may go up. In order to keep the graphics card from overheating, the GPU’s fans will start to spin faster. In general, any modern graphics card should be able to do this.
But if your GPU temperature suddenly goes up without you running a particularly heavy game or app, your graphics card may be overheating and needs to be fixed right away to prevent further damage.
The GPU overheating could be caused by one or more things. So, you have to check each of them to find where the problem is coming from.
We’ve put together some of the best ways to keep your GPU from overheating. These choices can be tried once at a time.
Ways to fix GPU getting over heated
- Dust off the fans on your GPU cards : Over time, dust can build up inside the GPU fans, making them work less well. The dust keeps cool air from getting to the heatsink on your GPU. The temperature of the graphics card goes up because more heat is being held in.
- Dust near the CPU : If you put your computer in a dusty room or area, it’s more likely that dust will get on your GPU fan. You should keep an eye not only on the fans on the graphics card but also on the fans in the case. Case fans are used to move air around inside a computer case. If the fans in your computer case are dirty, they may be spreading dust around the inside of your case. If dust has built up on your GPU fans, you can clean them with compressed air.
- Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) Overclocking : If you overclock your GPU, you might have problems with it overheating. Through the process of “overclocking,” you can make your GPU’s clock speed faster, which will make it work better. Because there is more heat coming out, you may feel like the temperature is wrong. If you recently overclocked your GPU, you should set it back to how it was when it came out of the box. If that doesn’t get the job done, the next step is to slow down your GPU in MSI Afterburner.
- The fan is no longer functional : If the fan on your graphics processing unit (GPU) is broken or missing, it could get too hot and break. Your graphics card will only stay in good shape if you fix the broken fans. If you put your ear close to the GPU while it is running, you can hear if the fan is broken or not. If you hear squeaking or clicking sounds coming from your GPU fan, you should get it fixed. Also, make sure that nothing is stopping the fans from going as fast as they can.
- Change the GPU drivers : Even though it doesn’t make sense, the instructions for controlling the fan are in the drivers for your graphics card. Keeping the GPU fan spinning at its best speed, which can be done by updating drivers, can keep the GPU from overheating.
- Airflow was slowed down : In older computer cases, there wasn’t enough room for air to flow. If the graphics card is installed inside the computer case and there isn’t much airflow, it makes sense that the temperature will rise. To keep your PC from overheating, it’s important to choose a case with enough airflow. By taking off the panel on one side, you can let in more air and get relief from the heat and humidity.
- Take a look at the thermal paste : Yes, GPUs and CPUs can both use thermal paste in the same way. Even though a GPU has big fans and heatsinks to keep it cool, it still needs good thermal paste to move heat from the processor to the heatsink. You might be able to stop the GPU from getting too hot if you use a good thermal paste. There are a lot of videos on YouTube that show how to use thermal paste on a GPU. Before putting on the new paste, use some isopropyl alcohol to get rid of the old paste. Use a “water block.”
- If none of the other ways to cool down your GPU have worked, it’s time to get serious about installing an aftermarket water block. A water block can make cooling much better, but only if you choose a computer case that is big enough. Setting up a liquid cooler for your GPU is also not easy. Before you can put in the right liquid cooling kit, you will need to take off the current heatsink and fans. If your graphics card isn’t very good, you shouldn’t use this option. Liquid cooling is a great way to keep a pricey graphics card running that you don’t want to throw away.
The Causes of Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) Overheating and How to Fix It
Graphics cards can now run at 100% load without overheating because they have built-in cooling systems. When the resolution goes up, your GPU has to work harder, which makes it produce more heat.
If your graphics card gets too hot, sensors inside it will tell the GPU fan to work harder to cool it down. When playing games or making movies, the temperature of a graphics card should be between 65 and 85 degrees Celsius.
When a GPU’s temperature goes over 85 degrees Celsius, it’s said to be overheating. Because the temperature is going up, there will be many glitches and shutdowns. GPU-Z lets you keep track of how hot your graphics card is.
Your graphics card is probably overheating, and if this is the case, you’ll need to find a way to cool it down.
The final sentence Using the suggested solutions, we’re sure you’ll be able to fix the problem with your graphics card overheating. If dust has built up in the GPU’s fans, the card is likely overheating. If your fans haven’t been cleaned in a while, you might want to try something cheaper like adding new thermal paste. A more expensive way to keep your GPU from overheating is to customize it with a water block. Only do this if you have the money and know-how to do it right. Graphics cards are made for extreme conditions, so they can work well and get hot. As we’ve said before, a GPU’s temperature can rise to 85 degrees Celsius when it’s being used. Simply put, you have nothing to worry about unless your GPU’s specs are higher than that range.